—Note about the happenings in San Sebastián de Garabandal.
The secretary of the Bishopric of Santander, by order of his Excellence the Reverend Bishop Fr. José María Cirarda Lechionado, because of the articles published in some magazines and daily papers and the great diffusion of the events of San Sebastián de Garabandal, declares:
1. That the three consecutive bishops, Fr. Doroteo Fernández, Fr. Eugenio Beitia and Fr. Vicente Puchol, have expressed the thought of the Hierarchy in five interventions, from August 26 and October 19, 1961, October 7, 1962 to July 8, 1965 and March 7, 1967.
2. That the two first Prelates agreed that “it is not evident that there is a supernatural origin of the phenomena that have been carefully examined by the Commission instituted for its study”; and the last Prelate, after having discussed the matter with the Holy See, affirmed that “all of the events at this location have a natural explanation.”
3. That the vigor of the decrees dictated by Fr. Beitia (B.O. of Bishopric, 1965, pg. 181) according to those which: a) Priests are prohibited from all intervention, and from participating and collaborating in the development of the events, even in the from of their simple presence as spectators, with suspension of their licenses in this Diocese of Santander for those who attend without express private permission in each case from the diocesan authority. b) We ask all faithful Christians to abstain from increasing the atmosphere of confusion by going to San Sebastián de Garabandal. c) We remember that according to Canon 1399, No. 5, “books and pamphlets that refer to new apparitions, revelations, visions, prophecies, miracles of that introduce new devotions, are prohibited by the same right if they are published without observing the prescriptions of the Canons.” And this makes it evident that in the Diocese of Santander they have never conceded to “print” any book, pamphlet, article, or note about this subject, and the publication of any article or information is prohibited unless it passes the Diocese’s censor first.
5. That it is to praise filial obedience with the clergy and the faithful of the Diocese of Santander following the indications of their Prelates in this matter and especially, that the Reverend Parish Pastor of San Sebastián de Garabandal does not fulfill what has been ordered, he prohibited the celebration of Holy Mass and the formation of special groups for those who pretended to one another in their visits to this parish many times.
6. That it is very sad, on the contrary, the obstinacy that some pledge to promote through publishing companies in a grand scale within and outside of Spain, and to open “Garabandal Centers” to celebrate congresses of the same name, and to organize visits to the place of the events, and to raise a temple there that will be constructed against the wishes of the diocesan Hierarchy. All of them contain a rebellious contradiction to the feeling of the Church and it is a clear sign against the supposed supernatural nature of the said events of San Sebastián de Garabandal and of the atmosphere of confusion created as a result, except for the good faith of some, who ignore the disposition of the Hierarchy and go to the said location.
The Bishop of Santander waits for all of the faithful to adhere exactly to the dispositions of his predecessors by reiterating the publications and continuing them with all vigor.