Brief in Words, Extended in Content
"You Are in the
As the morning slipped passed, a crowd of expectant people grew around Conchita’s house, hoping to finally learn the message.
The young girl appeared rejuvenated. It was said that the ecstasy of the previous night had brought back all her energy and vitality. Indefatigable and patient, she attended to everyone to the best of her ability. Some wanted to say good bye to her; others, for her to write on photographs and cards, or to kiss some holy article . . . the majority were coming with questions about the message.
But they still had to hold back their impatience.
There were Masses in the parish church. Conchita went to one of them, still fasting. On her way to and from church, she was besieged by questions.
Finally, at noon, prior to the departure of a busload of people to France, the desired proclamation was made at the door of Conchita’s house.
A priest read in a loud voice what Conchita had given him in her own handwriting, even with minor spelling errors and erasures.
The priest was Fr. Luis Luna from Saragossa. He has declared on repeated occasions:
«Conchita gave me the message in writing, and I read it in a loud voice in front of the doorway of her house; I kept it after that as a precious relic.»
It was first read in the original Spanish text, then in French. Another priest continued with an English translation; and apparently it was said after that in Italian too, so that the proclamation of the message left nothing to be desired.
intercession of St. Michael.
The Angel said:
* As my message of October 18 has not been fulfilled, and has not been made known to the world, I tell you that this is the last.
* Before, the cup was filling up; now it is overflowing.
* The PRIESTS: Many are on the road to perdition, and with them they are taking many more souls.
* The EUCHARIST: It is being given less and less importance.
* With your own efforts, you should avoid(2) the wrath of the Good God.
* If you ask pardon with a sincere heart, He will forgive you.
* I, your Mother, through the intercession(3) of the Archangel St. Michael, want to tell you to amend your lives.
* You are in the last warnings!
* I love you very much, and do not want your condemnation.
* Ask us sincerely, and We will give you what you ask.
* You should sacrifice yourself more.
*Think of the passion of Jesus.
With this text before us, something should be said about its delivery and much more about its content.
In its delivery, it is not easy to separate the words that the Angel actually said from those that belong to Conchita’s own vocabulary, which she used in communicating what she learned in the trance. Furthermore, although St. Michael gave the message, he was speaking in the name of the Most Holy Virgin. So words that he personally used (although by delegation) are merged with those that were simple repetitions of the Virgin’s words. Her direct speech is especially clear in the last part of the message: «I, your Mother . . .»
Obviously, Conchita put in writing only the most important part of what she heard in the ecstasy at the Calleja. Almost 15 minutes of conversation could not be covered in half a page of written manuscript. Furthermore, some of the words that were heard during the ecstasy referred to other things than those that appeared in the message.
But looking at the content, which is what is really important, there are three elements that cannot be separated, but are easily distinguished:
* A denunciation of the terrible moral situation in the world.
* A warning of what was being prepared because of this situation.
* An exhortation to correct the situation before it becomes too late.
1. Conchita’s text is given accurately, but not as she wrote it (one statement after another, without proper separation or punctuation).
2. Almost all the copies that I have seen of the message, even Conchita’s manuscripts, give this matter in the first person plural: We should avoid . . . This certainly is due to an assimilation on Conchita’s part of the Angel’s words, and should rather say: You should avoid . . .
In the first writing of the message, as it appears on the photocopy, she corrected the our efforts, putting in your efforts. An unconscious echo of what she had heard came out.
3. As on other occasions, Conchita confuses intercession with mediation. Obviously, the proper thing to say here would be by means of the Angel St. Michael.